Award Brief and Objectives:
The 2018 Child-Right Based Journalism Award seeks to encourage exceptional work in this field and support journalists’ contribution to quality coverage of children’s issues and rights in order to make a positive impact on society, reduce violence against children and build a child-friendly culture in Jordan.
- Print media and news websites.
- Radio and podcasts.
- TV, video journalism and multimedia.
A panel of judges comprises local and international experts and academics evaluated the reports based on the following criteria:
- Subject relevance.
- Difficulty in obtaining content.
- Clarity of narrative.
- Expanded and in-depth research.
- Commitment to professional and ethical standards.
- Adherence to legalities.
- Impact and ability to effect change.
- Technical quality.
- Innovation, creativity and use of digital tools.
Conditions for Participation:
The submissions must tackle issues related to protecting children from violence in Jordan, and must have been published/aired between 1 August 2017 and 1 October 2018, and must not have received previous awards.
Winners of the best two reports for each category will receive media equipment (laptops and professional cameras).
- “Print Report” category:
- Muna Abu Hammour of Alghad newspaper received first place for her “Children with Cleft Lip: Marginalization, Modest Medical Services” report.
- Tala Ayoub of Alrai Newspaper received second place for her “Specialized Psychiatric Care for Jordanian Children; Almost Absent” feature story.
- “Online Investigative Report” category:
- Ansar Abu Fara of Al-Araby Al-Jadeed received first place for the report entitled: “Divorce of Jordanian Minors, Marital Life Ends before it Starts”.
- Barakat Zyood of Jordan News Agency (Petra) received second place for his report “Iskander: Begging Leads Child to His Death Under Wheels of Two Cars”.
- “TV, Video and Multimedia” category:
- Hiam Farahin of Roya TV received first place for her “Children Cool Their Bodies with Water, Leave Their Mothers’ Hearts Scorched” report.
- Enas Alkayed of Jordan TV received second place for her “Community Support Center - Safe Environment” report.
- “Radio and Podcast” category:
- Louay Ahmed from the radio station of the University of Jordan received first place for his “Beggars Accompanied by Children” report.
- Ismail Abu Shkhaidem from the radio station of the University of Jordan received second place for his “School Toilets” report.